| lost password | register
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Other Data » Destination Data for NI 175

8/14/2009 10:32:41 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Hi All,

Just had a meeting with the DFT and they have let me know where you can get various destination data,

The raw destination / service data are available from the ‘2008-Destination Data.xls’ file at link
These can be used for LAs to check which destinations have been included in their LA or surrounding LAs as part of the construction of the Core Accessibility Indicators. For further guidance, see question 3.2 in the guidance document, available at link

edited by admin on 8/14/2009
10/1/2009 9:59:14 AM

Beverly Brewington
Beverly Brewington
Hi Dan

The destination data from DFT is useful but do you know how can I get hold of employment centre locations at LOWER Super output level(LSOAs with 500 jobs or more)?
10/1/2009 12:36:31 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Bev,

This data is available, but is not free of charge, would you like me to get a quote for you?

Regards,

Dan
10/2/2009 10:43:14 AM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Please could someone provide me with the definition used to define supermarkets/convenience stores in the DfT 2008 NI175 destination data.

I note that this data differs somewhat from that supplied by PointX - for which there is also no definition supplied. This is becoming increasingly prominent, particularly in the validation of data sets where results are open to scrutiny by the public.

Regards,

Ed.
10/2/2009 11:03:36 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Eddie,

Can you explain more what you mean by the definition?

Regards,

Dan
10/2/2009 12:26:41 PM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Hi,

PointX have been unable to provide us with a definition of a supermarket or convenience store. Apparently their data is sorted subjectively by how the individual business class themselves, therefore if Alf considers his outlet a supermarket it will be listed with large superstores.

I was wondering whether the definition used in the DfT data was more explicit/quantitative i.e. based on floor area or range of goods for example?

Regards,

Ed.
10/2/2009 2:24:57 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Eddie,

I will ask the DFT and get back to you,

Regards,

Dan
10/5/2009 8:20:10 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
This is the response i got

Our foodstore dataset is taken from Pitney Bowes MapInfo Retail locations dataset which provides the location of grocery/supermarkets and convenience stores.

The locations used in the 2008 Core Accessibility Indicators are available at http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespublications/ltp/coreaccessindicators2008 in the ‘2008_destination data’ download.

Hope this helps.
10/5/2009 8:41:02 AM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your assistance and reply. Maybe it's a question to ask Pitney Bowles as to how they've complied this dataset i.e. how they have defined supermarkets/convenience stores.

Regards,

Ed.
10/5/2009 10:42:30 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
I think that would be the best way forward, if you get any information from then if you could let me know i would be most interested.

Regards,

Dan
3/26/2010 10:37:53 AM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Hi Dan,

I contacted Pitney Bowes some time ago now (email) but yet to have a response.

We had to go down the line of creating and validating our own data set for the food retail landuse as we could not rely on those provided by others without a clear definition.
Obviously the other landuses did not present a problem the definition of a GP surgery is clear cut and obvious, however the variation between a supermarket/convenience store/corner shop requires further definition.

Regards.
8/3/2012 2:39:38 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Updated Destination data can be found: -

http://data.gov.uk/dataset/accessibility-destination-datasets
11/26/2015 9:58:45 AM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Hi All,

Can anybody advise from where I can source the latest destination data? I'm particularly interested in the food stores i.e. supermarkets and convenience stores. I require this data for the County (Derbyshire) and appropriate buffer.

Regards.

Ed.
11/26/2015 11:51:13 AM

Rowley
Rowley
Unfortunately DfT stopped producing this kind of destination file around 2010. Where we have had to run calculations to supermarkets/convenience stores we have had to create the destination files ourselves. I did ask DfT in 2014 I think whether this kind of information was going to be produced again and was told they were looking at it, but heard nothing since. Having used the old data before, it was always a little suspect anyway with plenty of closed shops etc included in the data file.
11/30/2015 10:03:46 AM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Hi Rowley,
How did you create the destination files? Did you query the OS address database or similar? I've managed to find the following which appears to provide a comprehensive list of all 'major' supermarkets in the UK which is maintained and available for use. http://geolytix.co.uk/blog/category/open-data/supermarket-locations/ Unfortunately it doesn't include the smaller or independent stores that I'd probably also need to include, but it does provide a useful base.

Additionally, do you know where to source a comprehensive list of PO's? The PO website doesn't appear to provide this - you can only query your nearest branch/es.

Thanks.

Ed.
11/30/2015 3:43:12 PM

Rowley
Rowley
Hi Ed,

Unfortunately, we just did a trawl of Google Maps and our own GIS system to locate convenience stores, had no other option. Other than using websites of the large supermarkets to locate their stores I couldn't find any other way, apart from using the 2010 data as a start point and seeing if the stores were still in existence or not. I have recently done this for a couple of districts in Staffordshire (Newcastle and South Staffordshire, and Stoke-on-Trent also).

In terms of Post Offices, I haven't done any accessibility calculations to them recently, and I am not aware of any other sources of data other than their website which isn't really much help!

Sorry I can't be more help there.

Rowley

Home » Other Data » Destination Data for NI 175