psw:
| lost password | register
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » User Created work » Transference of Accession to outside the UK

7/20/2011 10:39:22 AM

keithdrew76
keithdrew76
Hello

Something I did back in 2009, revised in 2010 and forgot about. May not be of interest but I was trying to work out if Accession could be used outside of the UK and the finding of this work was a positive.

Note: due to file size limits this is compressed heavily, happy to send full resolution copies.

Cheers,
Keith

7/20/2011 4:18:32 PM

admin
admin
Administrator
Hi Keith,

This is fascinating, I actually did a presentation on Accession to some American clients on behalf of Citilabs, they were extremely keen on the software, though it all fell apart when it came to using their Google Transit Data. I think once this data can be imported then Accession will truly be a global tool.

On a separate note, during my time working with Accession we have sold licences to Australia, South Africa and the Republic of Ireland. The consultants who have used the software in these countries built the public transport network from scratch which as you can imagine was a pain staking experience for them.

Dan
7/20/2011 4:32:01 PM

keithdrew76
keithdrew76
Hi Dan

Glad you found it of interest!

It was a toil getting the PT data in for the area in question (better than recoding the entire thing though)...I had to manipulate the text file into the right components (as per an Accession database), overwrite and then reconnect the Access database using the relationships set up by Accession (it took a long time to figure out and do!). And then I had to reproject to BNG due to the coordinate system in Accession...when I say toil it was actually fun :-)

Would be good to get some work outside the UK, perhaps one day...

Keith
7/21/2011 10:16:48 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
Keith,

For future reference you can get different co-ordinate system files for America or you can edit the original. This can be done in the Accession folder, try double-clicking the British file.

How long did the total process take from start to finish to create your accessibility maps including the conversion of the data?

Dan
7/21/2011 10:48:27 AM

keithdrew76
keithdrew76
Ah, that would have helped a little - although still had to manipulate the transit txt file into the seperate Access components used by Accession (pt stops, pt services etc).

From what I remember (I did this about two years ago, stopping and starting with 'paid' work interupting me) it took me around a week to take the transit data, manipulate into seperate Access tables and then rejoin the relationships. Overall, the project took around approximatley 4 weeks start to finish (roughly) - the original paper had more work as I also did a 'local' calculation.

Cheers
Keith

Home » User Created work » Transference of Accession to outside the UK