Home » Public Transport Data » Data availability

Just me frustrated?

You are on your own!:0
I'm with you!:3
5/22/2013 9:14:04 AM

keithdrew76
keithdrew76
Hi,

Just to refresh NPTDR dataset is to be no longer updated (even from a sorry state of every year). Bus and Coach data is now available via TNDS and Rail data is via ATOC and all is updated frequently...but...

...Bus and Coach data can only be uploaded to Accession (or any software) if you take a sledgehammer to your antivirus software (and even then it won't upload, despite a few choice, magic words - my failure is miserable)... Rail data is in a format I cannot current use as the CIF files are not in the right format...and its 4 million rows of data to clean...

Also, as I'm now on a fairly upto date PC, i.e. not using XP OS, I need to run Accession in a virtual XP environment that does not have access to the internet... so confusing...

So, since PT data went "Open" for me it's actually now "Closed" as I cannot use any of it (apart from data from October 2011) in Accession (or anything else). I feel like Obi-Won when Alderaan was destroyed by the despot Admiral Taark (except the voices crying out is just me). I may go back to my felt tips to draw my accessibility maps.

Is it just me who's a little frustrated??

Keith

ps I'm looking at the rail (ATOC) CIF data at the moment to see if I can clean it, if I can I will post a link.
5/22/2013 12:32:23 PM

RobT
RobT
Keith,

I am with you on this, the data is in a format currently that I find very hard to use. The TNDS data requires loading NAPTAN first, we have access to the open data Naptan for the country, but loading 400k points into Accession is a laborious process. Then after doing this, trying to get the TXC validator to approve the files is frustrating to say the least.

We are hoping that Basemap's version ( http://forum.basemap.co.uk/topic115-nptdr-2012.aspx ) the data is released soon so we can utilise it. It's a shame there will be a £250 annual cost, but to be able to access data at smaller areas will be key to us!

Rob
edited by RobT on 5/22/2013
5/31/2013 10:39:44 AM

keithdrew76
keithdrew76
Well, I'm glad (and equally sad) that its not just me...

This is a cross post with the other thread on CIF data and NPTDR.

I've looked at ATOC rail data and successfully translated (for May 2013), If anyone is interested in having this CIF file, message me at drewk@ch2mhill.com and I will send on to you gratis. ATOC data is a curious dataset, it includes past, present and future network changes. So I can offer you the full translation (with duplicate services) or a stripped out CIF file for week 20th-26th May.

I intend to look at coach and bus data soon to see if I can manipulate this so I can use it too. If successful I will post here.

Cheers
Keith
6/3/2013 10:49:07 AM

keithdrew76
keithdrew76
Rail CIF data is now hosted here (if interested) - this a public skydrive folder (Microsoft) so requires no sign in:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0960a152ee45fc9b&id=960A152EE45FC9B%21105&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&authkey=!ApJI0aw1QWMN9zk

If anyone does use these files - you will get an error message about missing stations, from my tests these can be ignored as I think it refers to heritage lines. Any issues please let me know.

Keith
edited by keithdrew76 on 6/3/2013
5/1/2014 10:55:14 AM

eddiejames_uk
eddiejames_uk
Excellent, many thanks Keith. Will you be updating the rail CIF for 2014?

Home » Public Transport Data » Data availability