psw:
| lost password | register
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Public Transport Data » Loading information from Traveline

3/9/2017 4:31:49 PM

soniag
soniag
Hi,

I have downloaded the FTP data from Traveline which comes in huge files relating to the regions. I only wanted public transport information for the borough and surrounding areas. I was told by Traveline that I have to look at the service report to find out which service is in the borough which is a laborious task as there are a lot of records, even just doing a 'find' search and I am not sure that this will identify all of the relevant services. How has anyone else done this, other than wait for thousands of records to be loaded into TRACC.

Your advice would be appreciated.
3/13/2017 4:58:01 PM

Rowley
Rowley
Hello,

Which authority are you trying to load the data for? Generally, within Traveline the data is listed alphabetical by council within that Traveline region. In the West Midlands, the data from the FTP site is pretty much in order of authority, with 'cen' for Centro, then twm_3 for Hereford, twm_4 for Staffs, twm_5 for Shropshire, twm_6 for Stoke-on-Trent, twm_7 for Telford, twm_8 for Warwickshire and twm_9 for Worcestershire. I have used East Midlands data and that seems to follow that sort of pattern too. Otherwise, the data might start with a 3 digit code e.g. 380 for Staffordshire, 389 for Stoke-on-Trent, 100 for Derbyshire.

Rowley
3/13/2017 5:27:22 PM

soniag
soniag
Hi,
It is for Bedford Borough and looking at the south east and east midlands regions. I have the service report but it is not clear which data relates to Bedford. I asked the question of Traveline as was told to just look for the relevant service so I had to do a search for Bedford in the spreadsheet, but I am not certain that this will pick up all of the services in this way. I could not find what the region codes mean. When I downloaded the information from the FTP the east midlands code all start with em.
3/14/2017 8:23:29 AM

Rowley
Rowley
Right, in the SE folder you need to download the ATCO_20_Bus file, (020 is the ATCO prefix for Bedford Borough) and that CIF file should contain all services within Bedford Borough. Do a check once you have uploaded it into TRACC, particularly for cross-boundary services just to make sure they all appear to be in there.

The following link shows the codes for each authority. The ATCO Prefix denotes the code for the service.

http://naptan.app.dft.gov.uk/Reports/frmStopsSummaryReport

Hope that helps!

Rowley
3/14/2017 9:20:54 AM

soniag
soniag
Hi Rowley,
That's very helpful thank you! I had to ask our IT people to download the FTP site (firewall issues) so they had just downloaded the whole lot. I will ask them just to download the ATCO 20 files only and hopefully that will speed my calculations up.
Thank you for the link as well. I was searching on the traveline information and forgot about Naptan.
Many thanks
Sonia
3/14/2017 4:04:47 PM

soniag
soniag
Hi Rowley,
No luck with the dowload. When the FTP file is opened it is just a large zipped file for the region and then the files in the document are XML documents. In the SE region the files initially start with the file name bed_1-1_-y08-3 and there are other files names starting with set_6 etc. There doesn't appear to be an ATCO 20 file in the document. Is there somewhere else to download?
I have all of the bus stops for Bedford from Naptan, but not the public transport times etc.
3/15/2017 8:43:37 AM

Rowley
Rowley
Hi Sonia,

Just looking at the format on the Traveline ftp site, bed_1 to bed_30 looks like services in Bedford, bed_4 looks like services in Luton so don't know whether you need these or not, bed_5 also looks like Luton services. bed_50 looks like Bedfordshire Villager Community Bus services so don't know about those, bed_51 look like other community bus services from Biggleswade. bed_53 look like Wanderbus services wherever they operate from. Anything numbered higher than that i.e bed_70 etc seem to be Berkshire so you can ignore those.
Make sure you load all the bus stops into TRACC if you are doing it this way before loading the services from Traveline. You may well get lots of missing stops anyway for anything outside the boundary but that may not be a problem if you are only wanting to do a calculation within your area.

Hope that helps,

Rowley
3/15/2017 9:21:30 AM

soniag
soniag
Hi Rowley,
I will look through the list. Traveline don't make it easy!
Thank you for all of your help, much appreciated.
Kind regards
Sonia
3/30/2017 5:49:24 PM

RobT
RobT
Yeah Traveline really don't, we used to use NPTDR from DfT, though this stopped in 2011 which is a pain. We did sign up to Basemap's DataCutter saved us some time when looking at public transport data, however it's only updated every three months.

Home » Public Transport Data » Loading information from Traveline