home recent topics recent posts search faq  

Basemap :: Forum

user:
psw:
| lost password | register

keithdrew76 - all messages by user

10/29/2009 1:46:56 PM
Accession and generalised time... TPM Presentation Hi Accession/Accessibility Planning people,

Just wanted to share a joint presentation (titled An Example of Applying GIS Techniques to Explore Accessibility Using Traditional Transport Modelling Perceptions) to you that was given at the Transport Practioners Meeting (at Reading University this July)...if you want more information then let me/Martin know, we can send you a copy of the paper that goes with this presentation.

It would be good to know how other people are using Accession/mapping in there Accessibility Planning work - it feels like the impetus has been lost over the last few years, which is sad as its a powerful tool to get ideas across to those who make the decisions!!!!

Cheers,
Keith
11/3/2009 1:50:16 PM
Accession and generalised time... TPM Presentation Hi

Note you will also find the related paper to this at:

http://www.ptrc-news.com/TPM2009.html and then select > Wednesday 15th July > Session 5 > Accessibility Planning.

Cheers,
Keith
11/9/2009 1:54:11 PM
Accession and generalised time... TPM Presentation Hi Dan

The talk went well (I think), although its quite a competitive market to get people in your sessions (4 session running parallell) so numbers perhaps a little lower than expected (not helped by the DfT running a competing session on DaSTS!!).

Comments away from the TPM have been positive too on the methodology adopted with a 'sister' paper soon to be published by the Journal of Maps for a similiar subject in Worcestershire.

Cheers,
Keith
11/16/2009 12:03:58 PM
Paper comparing London to Paris *not mine* http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0911/0911.2028v1.pdf

Perhaps they should have used Accession...

Keith
1/12/2010 5:08:30 PM
Population data used in calculations Jamie
I think the answer to the population question realtes to the size of your study area and the study purpose, as well as the resolution of data supply. If you doing a very local study then using population datasets at higher resoultion (above OA) is probably not a good thing. However if you are doing a strategic assessment (such as LTP2) then using data at SOA level is probably not so much of an issue, for example (an LTP2 assessment I undertook) measured access from SOA to SOA for employment opportunity and overlaid areas of highest umemployment (at SOA level).
For employment data you may find more up to date data on NOMISWEB better, for school children (dpeendent on who you work for) you could form a partnership with the Education department and get hold of their data - although never easy with the DPA.

My method of measuring accessibility by general population is to use OS AddressPoint (households) and its up to date (dependent on your data supply). Only 1 more year till the Census of 2011, and 3 years till publication...

Note sure that helps, but willing to discuss more...

Cheers
Keith
1/13/2010 9:16:19 AM
Use of Accession for LDF Core Strategy Appraisal Hi Richard
No problem - you can find the associated paper to the presentation by going to http://www.ptrc-news.com/TPM2009.html and then select > Wednesday 15th July > Session 5 > Accessibility Planning.

Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers
Keith
4/13/2010 9:35:14 AM
Free OS data Dan,
Any news/feelings on whether traveline/NPTDR data will go free? I've twittered this question to '@Travelline' but got no response...
By the way, if anyone is thinking of downloading some of the files are rather big, but there is a fast response from OS for free DVDs with the data on (within a week, although up to 28 days standard).
Keith
4/13/2010 11:06:58 AM
Free OS data Ah, at least the question was put to them. Still maybe one day...

For me, I don't think I would have the need for a cutter/data downloader. For the Rasters you can just download the lot (streetview being a little different), and then just open what you need (although this is dependent on if you know your grid squares). I suppose the Meriden2 data is more substantial and could cause some problems opening up (I haven't tried yet) - but will do soon, and my opinion may change!!

A key thing is also what will follow, in May the districts file is released, and how it interacts with other national datasets released...

There is a twitter trend #opendata and opinions on there may help you decide (if you haven't looked at this already)...
4/13/2010 11:56:56 AM
Free OS data Got the twitter trend slightly wrong its #osopendata...just in case!
I'll give you feedback on how I find opening the datasets too.
4/13/2010 4:04:47 PM
Free OS data This product maybe more to your liking Rob then, maybe...released in May freely!

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/vectormap/district/index.html

Keith (sorry clogging up the responses, I get carried away!)
4/19/2010 1:20:10 PM
Free OS data All Rasters below 250k (apart from OSStreetView) are still paid for. The 50k data that is available is a 'locator' basically has all the place names from 50k maps...

Although this is only supposedly the start of data being freed, so hopefully the more detailed rasters will become available...

Keith
6/1/2010 1:49:31 PM
Published paper: Journal of Maps Hello

Just sharing a published paper with you all, which I mentioned a few months ago to my TPM post - this is the 'sister' paper and first attempt at producing accessibility by weighted journey times.
http://www.journalofmaps.com/crossrefMap.php?mid=1069.
Any comments/queries are welcome.
Keith
7/29/2010 4:26:40 PM
Published paper: Journal of Maps This is a direct link to the article - rather than having to sign up to the journal itself - http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.journalofmaps.com/article_depository/europe/Drew_GIS_1241012233.pdf

Would be good to know what you think - positive and negative!

Keith
7/30/2010 2:55:10 PM
Published paper: Journal of Maps Hi Dan
Wait time was calculated outside of Accession using GIS - basically using a zoning approach. For high frequency wait time was simply half of headway, for low frequency it was capped to x minutes (can't remember what exactly). If a journey was not possible from A to B then wait time was calculated to the nearest major interchange, and then from the interchange to the destination. Wherever possible assumptions on wait time etc were made in line with WebTAG guidance for modelling.

Keith
5/16/2011 9:06:21 PM
Temporal Accessibility (work in progress) I've been messing, and thought I'd share...

Access to York City Centre (direct services only) - video showing travel time and direct bus stops.

Access measured within one hour of max time to reach destination (i.e if the map is set to 8am travel is restricted to 7am-8am). http://youtu.be/sxwVIeo4fQc

Keith
5/17/2011 9:19:02 AM
Temporal Accessibility (work in progress) Hi Dan
I used Windows Movie Maker - free I think.

Keith
5/18/2011 9:49:54 AM
Temporal Accessibility (work in progress) Aha Dan I got there before you :-)
I should had also said this non-Accession generated, I've built an accessibility program (mbx) in MapInfo which calculates / generates the time stamped maps for a single destination.

Keith
7/20/2011 10:39:22 AM
Transference of Accession to outside the UK Hello

Something I did back in 2009, revised in 2010 and forgot about. May not be of interest but I was trying to work out if Accession could be used outside of the UK and the finding of this work was a positive.

Note: due to file size limits this is compressed heavily, happy to send full resolution copies.

Cheers,
Keith
7/20/2011 4:32:01 PM
Transference of Accession to outside the UK Hi Dan

Glad you found it of interest!

It was a toil getting the PT data in for the area in question (better than recoding the entire thing though)...I had to manipulate the text file into the right components (as per an Accession database), overwrite and then reconnect the Access database using the relationships set up by Accession (it took a long time to figure out and do!). And then I had to reproject to BNG due to the coordinate system in Accession...when I say toil it was actually fun :-)

Would be good to get some work outside the UK, perhaps one day...

Keith
7/21/2011 10:48:27 AM
Transference of Accession to outside the UK Ah, that would have helped a little - although still had to manipulate the transit txt file into the seperate Access components used by Accession (pt stops, pt services etc).

From what I remember (I did this about two years ago, stopping and starting with 'paid' work interupting me) it took me around a week to take the transit data, manipulate into seperate Access tables and then rejoin the relationships. Overall, the project took around approximatley 4 weeks start to finish (roughly) - the original paper had more work as I also did a 'local' calculation.

Cheers
Keith
pages: 1 2